Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Corporate Medicine

I haven't been liking 'Corporate Medicine' at all, I think it is a contradiction in terms.... insofar as Medicine is being considered as a lucrative option for Investors. I believe that Medicine is essentially Sacred, and somehow, Corporate Medicine is making a sacrilegious alliance between Medicine and Business .... in the process eroding the ethics of some of the finest doctors intoxicated with the lure of Money for their services. Medicine is a special God-ordained Healing Ministry in which we are only mere insignificant instruments, however much important we'd like to believe our knowledge and interventions are, and to charge exorbitantly for our 'insignificant role', while compared to the Creator's or even worse to lust after that kind of money, I consider blasphemous.
It is possible to provide high quality service (including digital medical records and modernized labs with electronic reports etc) at affordable rates to everyone, including those who need it the most, (there are examples in other nations), if our policy makers make up their minds and use their brains, and the prices not artificially kept high with the sole intention of making profit. When did the 'Patient' become a 'Customer'? And the 'Doctor' a sophisticated 'Businessman'. I might sound like 'old-school' but I'll stick to my stand that Medicine is not just a glorified Hospitality Industry, it never was. It is and will remain Sacred, as long as it deals with life and death and everything in between that matters to physical/mental well-being....
Can't wait to get outta here, though I like the work that's hardly there; it is really comfortable being a doctor here, but... My heart isn't here....

No comments: